Our Local Plan has now been submitted for examination.

Demolitions - Enforcements

Building or demolition works can cause problems for neighbours of the site. You can reduce or avoid causing any nuisance to the neighbours, or action being taken by the council, if you follow this advice.

Building with keep out sign

Notice of demolitions must be submitted at least six weeks prior to the proposed demolition. Failure to do so is a contravention of the Building Act 1984 and may result in prosecution. Please use our online Demolition Notice Form.

Tell the council and the neighbours

  • Give the Local Authority 6 weeks notice of demolition work. The council may impose some conditions about how the work should be done.
  • Send a letter to the neighbours before work starts, telling them about the work and what to expect. Give the neighbours a contact name and telephone number and keep them informed.
  • Deal promptly with any complaints received on site.

Keep dust, noise and smoke to a minimum

Dust: Keep dust down by spraying with water when and where you can.

Noise: There should be no noise heard from the site outside the hours specified by the council.

Particularly noisy operations (such as Pile Driving) may need more stringent controls. Pumps and generators should not be left running overnight if they can be heard outside the site.

If you are a householder doing some or all the work yourself, try to avoid causing any noise or dust in the evenings or on Sundays.

If noise problems occur, the council or neighbours can take legal action. If you think your work may cause a significant nuisance to the neighbours from noise or vibration, apply for "prior consent" from the council who will allow a certain level of noise to occur.


  •  Bonfires that release "dark smoke" are illegal and the council will prosecute any offenders
  •  Advice about bonfires is available from the council
  •  Stop the bonfire at the end of the working day.

Obstruction and damage to pavements

  •  Do not let vehicles or materials block or damage the pavements.
  •  Do not leave obstacles, holes or trenches where they are a danger, especially to disabled people (eg the blind).
  •  The council may charge you for any damage caused to pavements, kerbs or verges by lorries or heavy plant.
Powered by GOSS iCM