Food poisoning

We investigate food poisoning and food related infectious illnesses, when notified by GPs, Public Health England, the public or local businesses.

Bar of soap

If you think you have food poisoning speak to your GP or contact NHS 111.  If you think that you became ill following eating at a Welwyn Hatfield establishment, please let us know.

Advice for businesses

Investigations are carried out by a Communicable Disease Control Consultant or council officers.

If staff are suffering from sickness or diarrhoea lasting more than 24 hours they should go to their GP. Please check the Fitness to work guide about when they can return to work or contact us for advice.

If you have concerns about the how an individual is coping with the illness contact NHS 111 for advice.

The Public Health England and The Department of Health websites have more information about food poisoning and other food borne illness.

Managing customer complaints

If a customer is alleging that illness has been caused after food served or sold by you:

  • advise them to see their GP to confirm a diagnosis
  • take their details; name, address, contact telephone numbers and information about when the food was purchased and eaten.

There can be a number of causes of illness that are not always food related, including infection that is caught from other people rather than directly from food.

Powered by GOSS iCM