»

What does the Planning Control Committee do?

In order to avoid delays in making decisions on planning applications which are neither complex nor contentious, the council aims to determine about 90% of applications through the delegated powers given to officers. Decisions on the remaining 5-10 per cent of applications are made by the councillors who form the Planning Control Committee. The Planning Control Committee also considers appeals under the Welwyn Garden City Estate Management Scheme. The Committee also reviews the performance on planning applications sent to the Development Management Section.

Which applications are considered by the Planning Control Committee?

Planning applications are considered by the Planning Control Committee if:

  • Officers wish to approve the application and it is contrary to the development plan
  • The application has been 'called- in' by any Member of the Borough Council within a set period
  • The decision would conflict with an objection received from any Member of the Borough Council within a set period
  • The decision would conflict with an objection received from a local Council or adjoining Local Authority within the a set period
  • It is prudent to for the Committee to consider the application rather than officers
  • Where Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council is the applicant and/or has an interest in the land/property the subject of the application, is a Major Development and objections have been received
  • A member of the planning staff (Planning Policy or Development Control), a Chief Officer or Senior Officer of the Council or a Member of the Borough Council is the applicant and/or has an interest in the land/property

All other applications recommended by the planning officer for approval will be considered under delegated powers by the Head of Development Control.

Officers can refuse planning applications under delegated powers if:

  • The decision would not conflict with any representation submitted by a Member of the Borough Council within a set period.
  • Officers consider it prudent to exercise delegated powers.

All other applications, including those under the Welwyn Garden City Estate Management Scheme and Protected Trees recommended by the planning officer for approval or refusal will be considered under delegated powers.

iCM Form
  1. Your details
    1. Security
      1. Please enter the text/numbers in the image below– this system helps us to make sure that your request is not being generated automatically.
      2. If you are unable to read the text below, use the refresh button to the right of the image to bring up a new sequence. Alternatively you can select an audio version or click the question mark for help.
Powered by GOSS iCM