Planning has a number of targets to meet at local and national level.
We let people know how if we are reaching our targets by reporting every three months to the Development Management Committee. Then every year we produce our Annual Monitoring Report.
Our targets are to:-
- Deal with 75 per cent of 'minor' (small housing and commercial schemes) and 85% of all 'other' (householder, changes of uses and adverts) planning applications in 8 weeks.
- Validate minor and 'other' applications within 3 working days of receipt and major applications within 5 working days
- For breaches of planning control commence investigations in 90% of cases for:
- Works to listed buildings or protected trees immediately or within 2 working days
- Development conflicting with major policy and ongoing operational development/ changes of use with a serious impact on amenity within 5 working days
- Operational development/changes of use with less serious impact on amenity within 10 working days
- Building works with little or no discernible impact, such as boundary fences and gates within 15 working days
- Minor household alterations 30 working days.
- To review the validation checklist for planning applications
- To meet the corporate standards for acknowledging general letters within 3 days and responding within 10 days or with 15 day update if a complex issue
- Deal with 60 per cent of 'major' (housing schemes of 10 of more dwellings and large commercial developments) planning applications in 13 weeks
- Ensure less than 30 cent of the appeals against the refusal of planning permission are allowed.
- To give advice to potential applicants before a planning application is submitted in accordance with the published Pre-application advice Procedure Note
- To investigate potential breaches of planning legislation in accordance with the Planning Enforcement Procedures
Our performance is good. The speed of our decision making on planning applications is above the national recommended level (NPI)
- More appeals than the national target have been allowed and planning permission granted.
- We have been taking more planning enforcement action.
- Application numbers over the years vary.
- Only a small percentage of planning applications are considered by the Development Management Committee.
Please see the latest Planning Performance report [213KB] for further details.
This page was last updated on 01/07/2013