We will ask for evidence of your income and circumstances when you make a claim. We only accept original documents.
Below is a list of information you will need to supply when making an application for benefits.
Proof of Identity - one of the following:
- National Insurance Number (NINO)
- Medical card
- UK residence permit
- EEC identity card.
Proof of capital, savings and investments
- Latest bank statements; covering the last two full calendar months
- Updated building society or post office books
- Certificates for Premium Bonds
- National Savings Certificates
- Shares and Unit Trusts.
Proof of benefits, allowances or pensions
- Award notices or letters from Department for Works and Pensions or Inland Revenue confirming how much you get
- Bank statements if they are paid directly into your bank or building society accounts.
Proof of Earned Income
- Wage slips: if you are paid monthly - the latest two; fortnightly - the latest three, or; weekly - the latest five
- If you do not receive wage slips ask us for a certificate of earnings for your employer to complete
- If you are self employed we need you to complete one of our forms or provide your most recent audited accounts
- Proof of other money paid out
- A letter from the authority stating how much you should contribute if your child is a student
- Agreements or receipts from registered child carers.
Proof of Unearned Income
- Maintenance for Children - If your agreement is through the Child Support Agency we need to see the award notification letter. Alternatively you will need to provide a confirmation letter from the person paying the maintenance
- Charitable or Voluntary Payments - A letter from the organisation making the payments
- Annuities - A certificate from the Insurance company making the payments.
Proof of Rent
- Tenancy Agreement
- A letter from your landlord or Housing Association
- Proof of payments of rent by you.
- Note: We do not need proof of rent if you live in a property owned by Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council.
Proof of Dependants
- Birth certificate
- Child Benefit award letter.
- Proof of your Student Grant
- Proof of your Student Loan
- The full Financial Assessment
- Details of your course, including term dates and year of study.