Excavation and Backfilling of Graves
Before the burial:
- Before the funeral party arrives we will ensure that the grave is correctly dug to the depth and size given in the Burial Application Form
- If needed we will support the grave by shoring and surrounding by timber.
- Grass matting will be laid to the grave surround.
- Putlogs will be placed over and adjacent to the grave to support the coffin and clean webbing laid out for lowering the coffin
- Tthe approach to and the surround of the grave will be left clean and tidy.
- All graves will be excavated by grounds staff appointed by the council and superfluous soil placed at the side of the excavated grave.
- All cemetery machinery will be stored in the yard out of sight.
Please note if a seIf a lowering device is needed you must tell us in the Burial Application Form.
After the burial:
- When all mourners have left the site (unless the person arranging the funeral has requests something different in advance) we will backfill the grave.
- The site will be left neat and tidy with the wreaths and flowers carefully placed.
- The grave space will sink as compaction occurs, particularly after heavy rainfall. This will be made good by the cemetery staff as soon as ground conditions are suitable.
- Seeding of graves will be done 6 to 12 months after the burial dependent on the condition of the grave/plot.