About the cemetery
- The Lawn Cemetery was opened in 1984 by the Lord Bishop of Hertford.
- The cemetery covers ten acres of land.
- To date over 15,000 interments have been carried out across over 3000 graves.
- The majority of the cemetery was consecrated on 27 March 1984. A number of notable members of the community congregated in the cemetery to witness the consecration service conducted by the Right Reverend Kenneth Pillar and assisted by the Arch Deacon of St Albans.
- The landscape of the cemetery permits only upright headstones, placed on predetermined concrete plinths at the head of the grave.
- The size and shape of the memorials are regulated to ensure a unified design to encourage well maintained grass.
We are consulting deed holders, and the wider community on our rules and regulations regarding memorials.