Equality and Diversity
To work actively towards eliminating barriers that prevent equality within the borough, and to address equality of opportunity and individual needs for all council employees, residents and service users.
- We will lead by example within the community, promoting equality of opportunity and fairness.
- We will value and understand the diversity of our communities, for the benefit of our customers and all residents of the borough.
- We will deliver fully accessible, fair and inclusive services.
- We will provide equal opportunities to our employees and encourage a culture of equality within the work place.
- We will consult with residents and the community on matters which affect them, taking into account the diversity of our borough.
Providing fair and accessible services
We do this by:
- Carrying out Equality Impact Assessments (EqIAs) on our policies and services. You can contact us if you would like to see an EqIA for a policy or service.
- Working to make our face to face, phone and digital services accessible.
- Looking at the demographic make-up of our community to see who is using our services.
- Getting rid of barriers that might stop people accessing our services.
If feel you have been unfairly prevented from accessing our services, please let us know.
Being a fair and accessible employer
We are proud to be an inclusive and welcoming employer:
- We review our workforce profile every year to make sure it reflects our community.
- We have policies and regular training to make sure staff are treated with dignity and respect.
- We are positive about disabled people.
- We are an accredited member of the Disability Confident Employer Scheme.
- We have procedures in place to encourage people with disabilities to apply for jobs with us.