Moving home (council housing)

Moving to a smaller home (Downsizing Support Scheme)

This scheme gives extra support to tenants who need to move to a smaller home.

Why downsize

A home that's too large can be difficult to maintain, especially if it has a large garden with trees and hedges. Large houses have higher rents and running costs. You may also have to pay the under-occupancy charge (bedroom tax) get less housing benefit.


How we can help

We want to make it as smooth and easy as possible for you to find a smaller home. 


We can meet with you to discuss all of your housing options such as sheltered accommodation and mutual exchanges.

We also offer practical help with:

  • arranging removals
  • changing your utility suppliers
  • changing addresses.

Help with registering on Housing Needs Register (waiting list)

If you are not already registered for a transfer, we can help you apply and show you how to 'bid' for homes.

You will be given additional priority in line with our Housing Allocations policy.

Financial help

You may be able to claim some financial help towards the cost of downsizing. This is based on the size and type of property you are moving from and in to. It is paid once you have moved by cheque or BACS payment. Any money you owe the council will be taken out of the amount first.


Who is eligible

You must be a council tenant and meet one of the following criteria:

  • Your current home has two or more bedrooms.

  • You are under occupying your home by at least one bedroom.

  • Your current home and garden is maintained in a reasonable condition.


Apply for the downsizing support scheme

Contact the Neighbourhood Housing Team to apply.


Contact or visit Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council

Address: Council Offices
Campus East
Welwyn Garden City

Telephone: 01707 357 000

More information about moving