COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - Garden Waste Service
Brown bin collections, for garden and food waste, will start again from Wednesday, 6 May.Find out more
These terms and conditions have been agreed to ensure a consistent delivery of the service to all residents.
- The subscription fee covers a 12 month period, 1 April to 31 March inclusive, each year. The full annual subscription is payable whenever a customer signs-up for the service during the year.
- Refunds will not be made for cancellations during the year.
- Collections will commence only after the subscription payment or direct debit set up has been confirmed.
Please note, it may take up to 10 working days for your property to be added to the collection schedule once payment has been made.
- If you sign-up by Direct Debit the payment for subsequent years will be taken in March. We will always contact you in advance of payment being taken.
- Subscriptions can be transferred to other addresses within the borough if a customer moves home.
- Brown bins remain the property of Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council and are assigned to the address. If you move home, please contact the council to make arrangements for transferring your subscription (i.e. rather than taking the bin with you).
- The householder is responsible for maintaining the condition of the wheeled bin. If the bin is damaged or lost, the council's bin replacement fees may apply, depending on the circumstances.
- Rebates will not be made for missed collections, but the council will make every effort to return to make the collection if the bin has been presented in accordance with our guidelines.
- In severe weather, waste collections may be suspended without notice. Guidance for all collection services and updates will be posted on this website. If you wish to receive notifications of service disruptions, you can also text alert service.
- There may be exceptional circumstances that cause the suspension or cancellation of the service (e.g. industrial action or vehicle breakdown).
- Scheduled alterations will be made to the service during public holidays. You will receive prior notification of these changes.
- During cold weather, we will try to empty your brown bin but this may not be possible if the contents are frozen.
- Householders will be required to present brown bins in line with the council's requirements under Section 46 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (refer to your collection calendar or this website for further information).
- If you subscribe to the service, customers can include compostable food waste in the brown bin.
- Bins containing anything other than garden waste or food waste will be deemed as contaminated and these will not be emptied. A return collection will not be made under these circumstances. It is the responsibility of the resident to sort the contents of the bin and remove contamination prior to the next collection.
- Overflowing or excess green waste placed around wheeled bins will not be emptied. The bin lid must be closed.
- These terms and conditions will be revised and updated as required.