Skills and competencies
The Independent Person(s) will demonstrate:
- a keen interest in standards in public life;
- an interest in local issues;
- a wish to serve the local community and uphold local democracy;
- the ability to be objective, independent and impartial;
- sound decision-making skills;
- leadership qualities, particularly in respect of exercising sound judgement. The Independent Person(s) will:
- be a person in whose impartiality and integrity the public can have confidence;
- understand and comply with confidentiality requirements;
- have an awareness of the importance of ethical behaviours;
- be a good communicator. Desirable additional criteria are:
- working knowledge/experience of local government or other public service and/or of large complex organisations and awareness of and sensitivity to the political process.
- knowledge and understanding of judicial/quasi‐judicial or complaints processes.
Please demonstrate in your application how you meet the above criteria, as this will assist the short‐listing process.
Means of assessment will be by CV/personal statement and interview.
Eligibility for Appointment
A person cannot be appointed as an Independent Person if they are or were within a period of 5 years prior to the appointment:
- a Member, Co‐Opted Member or Officer of the Authority.
- A Member, Co‐Opted Member or Officer of a Town/Parish Council in the Borough Council’s area, or a relative or close friend of the above.