Climate change strategy
The Council declared a climate change emergency in 2019 and set itself five ambitious objectives:
- To reduce carbon emissions from our own estate and operations to net zero by 2030, or a justification for a later date if the review finds this unachievable.
- To comply with statutory obligations to mitigate and adapt to climate change.
- To work with, support, encourage and engage residents, communities, businesses and other partners in initiatives to reduce carbon emissions.
- To embed climate change mitigation and adaptation into our plans, strategies and policies.
- To reduce carbon emissions across the borough by promoting energy efficiency measures, sustainable construction, renewable energy, sustainable transport and behavioural change.