Equality Policy Statement
Through our Equality Policy Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council will:
- Make a positive difference to our communities and to the people we employ, provide services to and do business with.
- Comply with all legislation and codes of practice, including the Equality Act 2010 and Public Sector Equality Duty (2011)
- Set out clear objectives for our equality agenda and through our corporate Equality Steering Group, ensuring that we work towards them and monitor our performance against them.
- Lead by example in the community in promoting good equalities practice and awareness of equalities issues.
- Provide excellent services which meet the needs of customers, employees and other people and groups, including people with protected characteristics, as defined by the Equality Act 2010.
- The protected characteristics are:
- Gender re-assignment
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Be proactive in preventing discrimination in any of its forms against any person or group.
- Collect and monitor relevant information about our customers and employees so that we understand their requirements. We will use this information to make decisions about the type of services we provide and how they will be delivered.
- Understand and assess the impact of our services on the people who use them. We will carry out Equality Impact Assessments (EqIAs) when reviewing our services and policies, or when planning new ones. We will act on the findings of the EqIAs, where possible removing or reducing barriers where this which may prevent people benefitting from the services and opportunities we provide.
- Keep our employees, contractors and partners informed on our approach to equality and diversity. We will provide training and briefings to support this, to ensure that they work in a way which reflects the council’s commitment to equal opportunities for all.
- Mainstream our approach to equality and diversity throughout the council and make sure that other policies and strategies reflect this.
- Lead from the very top of the council in valuing diversity and promoting equal opportunities, to be achieved by close partnership working between senior officer and Members.