To learn more about the refuse and recycling collection service, view our frequently asked questions.

How does the refuse and recycling service work?

Recycling, compost and refuse are collected on a fortnightly basis. Recycling and compost bins are collected one week, refuse the next. Compost (brown) bins will only be emptied if you are subscribed to the garden waste service.  

Back to questions

How do I know which containers to put out on which week?

You will receive information leaflets and a calendar detailing your collection days.

Back to questions

Where is my bin collected from?

Please present your bin on the boundary of your property, unless you have an assisted collection.

Back to questions

Where should I store my bins?

Your bins should be stored within the boundary of your property, where you keep them is your decision. You can keep them inside or outside.

Back to questions

My bin has been missed, what should I do?

You can report a missed collection online or by calling 01707 357000. See our Missed bin web page for more information on how to report a missed bin and our policy.

What types of recycling do you collect in the blue lidded bin?

The services should enable residents to recycle most generally collected kerbside materials.

We will collect:

  • Glass - bottles and jars
  • Tins and cans - plus aerosols and foil
  • Plastic - bottles, pots, tubs and trays
  • Paper
  • Cardboard
  • Cartons (Tetra Pak)

This does not include polystyrene (foam) trays/cups or textiles.

Back to questions

What types of plastic can I recycle?

You can recycle all plastic pots, bottles, tubs and trays. This includes plastic bottles (drink, detergent, shampoo) and loose lids, yoghurt pots, ready meal trays, fruit/veg/meat trays, margarine/ice cream tubs and flower pots.

Please note, items such as crisp packets, chocolate/sweet wrappers, plastic netting, as well as plastic toys and buckets etc, should never be put in your blue lidded bin.

Back to questions

What types of cartons can I recycle?

You can recycle liquid food and drink cartons (for example Tetra Pak) in the main body of your blue lidded bin. This includes all juice, soup and milk cartons.

Back to questions

What do you collect for composting in the brown bin?

We will collect:

  • Green garden waste
  • Grass & hedge cuttings
  • Flowers & plants
  • Leaves
  • Small branches (cut up)
  • Hay & Straw
  • Food Waste

Back to questions

Can I use plastic or compostable bags to line my kitchen caddy?

If you want to line your kitchen caddy, the simplest way is to line it with paper bag or a compostable liner. Acceptable liners should display the seedling logo.

Lots of supermarkets stock caddy liners and they are widely available to purchase online.

We will not empty bins containing newspaper or any other type of plastic liner.

Back to questions

Can I put shredded paper in my brown bin?

No, shredded paper should now go in the inner box of your blue lidded bin.

Back to questions

Can I present my recycling in bags in my blue lidded bin?

No, please do not bag your recycling. Recycling contained within bags will be treated as rubbish and will not be collected.

Back to questions

I cannot fit everything in my blue lidded bin - what should I do?

Remember to make the most of the space in your bin. Squashing your plastic bottles and flattening cardboard will make space. Extra recycling can be taken to your local recycling centre. Remember that cardboard can be recycled at many Recycling centres

Back to questions

Can I have an extra blue lidded bin?

We expect most homes to be able manage with the standard blue lidded bin, especially if people take care to flatten card and squash bottles. Unfortunately the council cannot provide additional blue lidded bins. If on occasions you have excess recycling, it can be taken to your local recycling centre.

Back to questions

Can I remove my inner paper box from the blue lidded bin if I have more recycling?

Yes, if you don't have much paper and have more mixed recycling you can remove the inner paper box to create more space in your blue lidded bin. However, in order to collect your paper, your paper box needs to be presented inside your bin.

Back to questions

I don't have a blue lidded bin, how can I recycle?

Some homes genuinely cannot accommodate wheelie bins. These homes continue to receive this service for recycling collections. Alternatively, recycling can be taken to your local recycling centre.

Back to questions

What happens if I make a mistake and put something I shouldn't in my recycling or compost bin?

Please try to avoid this by reading the information available on our website and in your recycling leaflet carefully and contacting us if you are unsure about anything. Unfortunately we won't be able to collect your bin if it contains something it shouldn't. We'll leave a notice to say why it couldn't be collected and the item(s) will need to be removed before the next collection.

Back to questions

Can I use my black bin for excess recycling?

This should be a last resort. We encourage you to find a way to recycle items before placing them in the black refuse bin. If you don't have enough space in your recycling bin, consider taking items to your local recycling centre or one of Hertfordshire County Council's Household Waste Recycling Centres.

Back to questions

We are a large family - what if my bin cannot hold two week's waste?

The household waste that we throw away ends up in landfill. By recycling responsibly and using simple techniques like squashing containers, we are confident that the bins will offer adequate capacity for most households.

If you've given the standard sized bin a chance, and genuinely cannot manage, we will consider requests for larger bins from homes with six or more permanent residents, a family with two or more babies in nappies or those with healthcare waste. If appropriate we will issue a larger bin (240 or 360 litres). This will then be re-assessed annually.

You will need to demonstrate that you recycle, but still find the refuse bin to be too small.

Back to questions

I have a baby in nappies, can I get a bigger bin?

We offer £50 cash back to residents who use real nappies on their babies. Alternatively, if you've never used real nappies and would like to give them a go, you can apply for a free starter kit worth over £100. Real nappies are more environmentally friendly and kinder to your baby. It is estimated that a baby will use an average of 5,000 disposable nappies, all of which end up in landfill sites.

Please also see above.

Back to questions

What happens if I have any extra waste?

We will only collect material that is contained within your wheelie bin. Any additional rubbish will not be collected. But, if you recycle as much as you can then there should be little waste that needs to go into your rubbish bin.

Alternatively, if you have too much waste then please take it to one of Hertfordshire County Council's Household Waste Recycling Centres. However you will need to be aware that they will expect you to recycle what you can.

Any excess glass, tins, paper, cardboard or plastic bottles can be taken to the local recycling centres.

Extra garden waste can be home composted or taken to the Household Waste Recycling Centres.

Back to questions

My brown bin is empty, can I share with a neighbour?

It may take longer to fill up your brown bin. Neighbours may share bins if they wish, contact the council to ask for a bin to be removed. However, please be aware if you wish to have the bin returned after its removal a charge will apply.

Back to questions


Why can't I recycle soft plastics?

Soft plastics include all plastic bags such as carrier bags and those for bread, fruit and vegetables for example, as well as flimsy food wrappings such as plastic films and shrink wrap. These should no longer be recycled.

Policy changes have led to less types of plastic accepted for recycling. There is no longer a secure outlet to recycle the very low quality soft plastics, so recycling facilities no longer want them. Soft plastics make a very small contribution to our recycling tonnage, but they significantly devalue our recycling. By removing these we can boost the quality of our recycling and therefore the income we receive for it. In turn this can be used to sustain council services in these financially challenging times.

Back to questions

Are the bins my property?

No. The bins remain the property of the council and are allocated to your property, not you as the householder. Please do not take them with you when you move. It is advisable to mark the bins issued to you with your property details.

Back to questions

Do I need to be worried about smells and vermin?

Problems such as smells can be easily avoided by following a few sensible measures and practicing good housekeeping, for example double-wrapping items like disposable nappies.

To avoid flies and vermin, ensure waste is not left exposed, but contained instead.

The council will not clean wheelie bins as part of the service but businesses offering such services may be found in the phone directory. Good practice would be to rinse out the bins allocated to your property every now and then.

Back to questions

My property is not suitable for storing wheelie bins or has restricted access. What can I do?

The council recognises that a small number of residents are unable to use wheeled bins, for example terraced properties opening directly on to pavement or road, with no accessible rear storage.

Properties which genuinely have no storage space for three wheeled bins will be considered on an individual basis and we will arrange alternative methods of collection if required.

Back to questions

How does the alternate refuse and recycling system motivate people to recycle more?

Receiving only one collection of landfill waste each fortnight will encourage people to think very carefully about how they manage and take responsibility for their waste. See our page about minimising waste for more information.

If you make sure you recycle as much as possible, there should now be very little left to throw away as refuse.

Back to questions

Does the council enforce against residents who contaminate their wheelie bins?

This council believes in providing information and raising the awareness of residents so they can use the recycling service fully and correctly. If residents continue to misuse the service we will implement our enforcement policy, which can result in a fixed penalty notice being issued.

Back to questions

Do you offer special help to residents who are unable to get their bins to the boundary?

We provide assistance to residents in genuine difficulty, if there is no one else who resides at the same property who is able to help. If you would like to request an assisted collection please contact us.

Back to questions

Does the law say how often the council should collect my waste?

Local authorities have a statutory duty to collect household waste but the law does not specify how often this must be done. Under Section 46 of the Environmental Protection Act (1990), the council can stipulate the types of receptacles and how householders should manage their waste materials correctly.

Back to questions

Is it a health hazard to collect household rubbish, including food waste, on alternate weeks?

Evidence and research, including the Icon for pdf Wycombe Report (published March 2007 from independent research commissioned by the Government), found no evidence that this method causes any adverse health impacts.

In the years since councils have introduced this system there have been no instances of ill health connected with this type of collection service.

By using the containers provided as instructed and by employing good housekeeping, residents should not encounter any issues. Residents need to take responsibility for the care of the waste they produce before the council collects it.

Back to questions