Information and FAQs about our garden waste collection service. Payments will open on 1 March.
Bulky waste collections
Serco, our contractor, offers a separate bulky household waste collection service on our behalf, which you can use to dispose of household items you cannot fit in your bin.
Items that can be collected
There are two types of bulky household waste collection: ordinary and electrical.
Ordinary bulky collection
- Bedroom furniture
- Living room furniture
- Non-powered lawnmowers
- Excess bagged household waste (five sacks are equal to one item and we can accept up to twenty sacks).
Bulky electrical collection
- Kitchen appliance such as fridges and freezers (must be clean and all food removed), washing machines, ovens (including gas ovens)
- Household electrical items such as televisions, stereos and PCs
- Electric lawnmowers
We will not collect building and construction waste. For such waste, you can hire a skip via a private waste company, or purchase a 'Skip Bag' from DIY shops.
We do not offer house clearance services.
Ordinary bulk collection (up to four items)
Bulky electrical items
£31.98 per item
Full fee applies
Indoor removal fee - necessary for items to be removed from inside a property, be that a shed, garage, landing area or anywhere in a communal block.
£18.17 to cover additional liability costs
Full fee applies
* Available to people who receive state pension or benefits
Arrange a collection
|Over the phone||Register your details with our contact centre and Serco will call you back to make arrangements and take payment.|
This service is currently unavailable.
|By post||Print off and complete the bulky collection form [119KB] or bulky electrical collection [78KB] booking form. Send it to the address at the top of the form, along with a cheque or postal order.|
Please note that refunds are not available if you cancel the collection.
What you can expect
- Serco will contact you to arrange collection within two working days of receiving the request.
- Collection will be arranged within ten working days.
- Items must be left outside your property on the scheduled day, in an accessible position (unless you have paid an additional fee to have the items removed from indoors).
Re-use and recycle options
If you don't want to arrange a bulk waste collection, there are alternative methods of disposal. Please view our minimising waste page to see how you could donate your bulky waste item for re-use or visit Hertfordshire County Council's WasteAware website to see if you can recycle your item at a Household Waste Recycling Centres.
Remember fly-tipping is illegal and dumped waste poses a real hazard to others and the environment. We will prosecute those responsible