What help can I get?

If you are on a low income and live in the Borough of Welwyn Hatfield in supported, sheltered or emergency housing you can:

  • apply to the Council for Housing Benefit to help pay your rent
  • include an application for Council Tax support to help you pay your Council Tax

Council Tax support is:

  • restricted to 75% of your liability - this means that everyone has to pay a minimum of 25% of their bill
  • limited to a band E property - if your property is in band F, G or H, Council Tax support will be limited to 75% of the charge for a band E property

Universal Credit or Housing Benefit?

You should apply to the Department for Work and Pensions for Universal Credit to help with:

  • your rent to a private landlord
  • your rent and some service charges if you rent from a housing association or a private landlord

Find out how Universal Credit could help you

You should claim Housing Benefit through us if:

  • you receive a Severe Disability Premium as part of your Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Job Seekers Allowance
  • you are living in temporary accommodation or supported accommodation
  • you have reached pensionable age
  • you are currently receiving Housing Benefit and you have changed your address within the borough

If you think you are eligible use the link below to apply for Housing Benefit.

apply for housing benefit