What help can I get?
If you are on a low income and live in the Borough of Welwyn Hatfield in supported, sheltered or emergency housing you can:
- apply to the Council for Housing Benefit to help pay your rent
- include an application for Council Tax support to help you pay your Council Tax
Council Tax support is:
- restricted to 75% of your liability - this means that everyone has to pay a minimum of 25% of their bill
- limited to a band E property - if your property is in band F, G or H, Council Tax support will be limited to 75% of the charge for a band E property
Universal Credit or Housing Benefit?
You should apply to the Department for Work and Pensions for Universal Credit to help with:
- your rent to a private landlord
- your rent and some service charges if you rent from a housing association or a private landlord
You should claim Housing Benefit through us if:
- you receive a Severe Disability Premium as part of your Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Job Seekers Allowance
- you are living in temporary accommodation or supported accommodation
- you have reached pensionable age
- you are currently receiving Housing Benefit and you have changed your address within the borough
If you think you are eligible use the link below to apply for Housing Benefit.