Information we need

We will ask for evidence of your income and circumstances when you make a claim. We only accept original documents.

 Below is a list of information you will need to supply when making an application for benefits.

Proof of Identity - one of the following:

  •  National Insurance Number (NINO)
  •  Passport
  •  Medical card
  •  UK residence permit
  •  EEC identity card.

Proof of capital, savings and investments:

  •  Latest bank statements; covering the last two full calendar months
  •  Updated building society or post office books
  •  Certificates for Premium Bonds
  •  National Savings Certificates
  •  ISA's
  •  Stocks
  •  Shares and Unit Trusts.

Proof of benefits, allowances or pensions:

  • Award notices or letters from Department for Works and Pensions or Inland Revenue confirming how much you get
  • Bank statements if they are paid directly into your bank or building society accounts.

Proof of Earned Income:

  • Wage slips: if you are paid monthly - the latest two; fortnightly - the latest three, or; weekly - the latest five
  • If you do not receive wage slips ask us for a certificate of earnings for your employer to complete
  • If you are self employed we need you to complete one of our forms or provide your most recent audited accounts
  • Proof of other money paid out
  • A letter from the authority stating how much you should contribute if your child is a student
  • Agreements or receipts from registered  child carers.

Proof of Unearned Income:

  • Maintenance for Children - If your agreement is through the Child Support Agency we need to see the award notification letter. Alternatively you will need to provide a confirmation letter from the person paying the maintenance
  • Charitable or Voluntary Payments - A letter from the organisation making the payments
  • Annuities - A certificate from the Insurance company making the payments.

Proof of Rent:

  • Tenancy Agreement
  • A letter from your landlord or Housing Association
  • Proof of payments of rent by you.
  • Note: We do not need proof of rent if you live in a property owned by Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council.

Proof of Dependants:

  • Birth certificate
  • Child Benefit award letter.


  • Proof of your Student Grant 
  • Proof of your Student Loan 
  • The full Financial Assessment
  • Details of your course, including term dates and year of study.