Domestic abuse

Stalking and harassment

Quick exit

Stalking includes such behaviour as:

  • regularly sending unwanted flowers or gifts
  • making unwelcome or malicious communication
  • damaging property
  • physical or sexual assault

If someone’s behavior persists and makes you feel uncomfortable, fearful, or anxious, it could be considered stalking.

Remember that stalking isn’t limited to mysterious strangers lurking in the shadows or obsessed fans following celebrities. In reality, about 40% of those seeking help from helplines are victims of stalking by ex-partners, and another third have some prior connection with their stalker—such as having dated, been married to, or even been friends with them

For more information about stalking and harassment, visit Safer Places, Paladin Services or the National Stalking Helpline.