Tenant Satisfaction Measures (TSM) Survey 2024

Further Information

What is the Tenants Satisfaction Survey?

From April 2023, the Regulator of Social Housing requires all social housing providers to collect data on a range of tenant satisfaction measures. The Regulator sets the standards for social landlords in England, including being open with tenants, treating them fairly, and respecting them. This ensures that tenants can access services, raise complaints, influence decision-making, and hold their landlord to account.


When was the 2023-24 Tenant Satisfaction Survey in Welwyn Hatfield carried out?

Our survey for 2023-24 was carried out between January 2024 and March 2024. The survey was carried out by an independent company on behalf of the Council and it was sent to a randomly selected representative sample of around a third of the council’s tenant households.


Where can I find the results of the 2023-24 survey?

The results of the 2023-24 survey can be found online on the agenda for cabinet housing panel webpage. The results will also be published in our tenants’ newsletter, The Community Edit.


What is the Council doing with the results from the survey?

We have used the feedback from the survey to draw up an action plan which will help us plan and improve our services for the future.


When is the next Tenant Satisfaction Survey taking place?

Our next Tenant Satisfaction Survey will start in June 2024.  The survey will be conducted by market research specialists Kwest Research who will contact a randomly selected representative sample of our tenants by telephone, email or letter.


Resident Involvement

There are other ways that you can get involved to help shape housing services. For example, our Residents Panel has regular meetings, helps us improve our housing services, and holds us to account. If you are interested in joining one of the groups or have a suggestion for a new way to involve residents, email us at neighbourhoods@welhat.gov.uk or call us at 01707 357 796 for an informal chat.


If I have an issue that I want to report now, how do I do that?

If you want to report a repair to your council home, please ring 0800 111 4484 or email housingmaintenance@welhat.gov.uk.

For anything else, please call our Customer Service team on 01707 357 000 or email contact-whc@welhat.gov.uk.