Right to Buy

Who is eligible

To have the Right to Buy you must have:

  • be a council tenant with a secure or flexible tenancy (you may be able to include your partner and other members of your family who are living with on your application)
  • have been a council tenant* for a total of at least 3 years (qualfying period)
  • or have lived in H.M. Armed Forces accommodation for at least 3 years (qualfying period).

*this includes other councils, housing associations, the Commission for the New Towns and National Health Service Trusts.

You may also be able to count the tenancies held by your current or former husband, wife, or civil partner, or, in if you have a succession, your parents towards the qualifying period.

Who does not have the right to buy their home?

You are not eligible for the Right to Buy scheme if you:

  • do not have a secure or flexible tenancy
  • have an introductory tenancy
  • have lost your status as a secure tenant (for example by not living in your home as your main residence, or by subletting your home to other people)
  • your tenancy has been demoted.

Even if you have a secure tenancy or a flexible tenancy and the correct qualifying period, you may still not be able to buy. You do not have the Right to Buy if:

  1. Your property is particularly suitable for elderly people. Such as part of an elderly persons scheme of bungalows or flats with warden care, communication equipment, and access to a common room. A bungalow or flat (even with no communication equipment and no access to a common room) that was let as elderly persons accommodation if it is close to shops. If you disagree you have a right to appeal to a Residential Property Tribunal 
  2. Your home is sheltered housing or other housing particularly suitable for elderly or disabled people.
  3. It was let to you in connection with your employment (special rules apply).
  4. We intend to demolish your home.
  5. You are considered to be un-discharged bankrupt, there is a bankruptcy petition pending against you, or unfulfilled arrangements with creditors
  6. There is a court order against you (or pending) suspending your right to buy because of anti-social behaviour.
  7. You are subject to a possession order (or a hearing has been applied for and is awaited).
  8. If you owe rent or any other money such as court costs or rechargeable repairs.