Carers Council Tax discount

If a carer is living in your home you may be entitled to a discount.

If you are a carer who has moved in with someone to care for them, you may be exempt from paying Council Tax on your former home. 

You can apply for these discounts using the Carers Council Tax Discount Claim Form. This form is also available from the Council Tax office.

There may also be a discount if you meet one of the criteria below.


Carers who are employees

The person who is providing the care or support must:

  • be providing care or support through the Crown, a charity, or a local authority
  • be employed for at least 24 hours a week
  • be paid no more than £44 per week
  • live where the care is given or, in a place provided for the better provision of care


Carers who are friends or relatives

The person being cared for must be someone who gets one of these benefits:

  • an attendance allowance
  • the highest or middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance
  • the daily living component of the personal independence payment (PIP*) at the standard or enhanced rate
  • the appropriately increased rate of disablement pension
  • an increase in a constant attendance allowance

They are not eligible if:

  • they do not live in the same home as the person they are caring for
  • they provide care for less than 35 hours per week on average
  • they are the husband or wife of the person they are caring for
  • they are caring for their own child who is under 18.

*PIP is replacing the disability living allowance


Exemption for carers who leave home to provide care

If you have left your own home to provide care you may be exempt if:

  • it was your main home and not anyone else's main home
  • you are providing care for someone who is elderly, has a physical or mental disability, drug or alcohol dependency, or mental illness (now or in the past)
  • you moved home to provide better care for the person you are caring for.

Even if you have not moved out of your home you may still be exempt.

If you are caring for someone outside of Welwyn Hatfield we need to agree with the other local council that your main home has changed.

If your former home is outside Welwyn Hatfield you will need to contact the local council there.