Disability Council Tax discount

You may be able to get a Council Tax discount if your home has been adapted for a disabled person who lives there.


Apply for a disability Council Tax discount

To apply use the Council Tax Disabled Discount Form. You can also get this form from the Council Tax office.

A doctor or other medically qualified person must sign a statement on the form to support your claim. We will contact you to arrange a visit from a Council Tax inspector. They will visit your home to check whether you can get the discount. We will let you know the decision within 14 working days.

You do not need to reapply each year. We will ask you each year to confirm that your circumstances have not changed.


How the discount is worked out

The discount is worked out on the Council Tax Band below yours. For example if your home is in Band D, your bill will be worked out using Band C.

If your home is in Band A, your bill will be five ninths of Band D.


Who can get the discount

To get the discount this must be the main home of the person with disability.  This is "a person who is substantially and permanently disabled (whether by illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise."

 They can be under 18 years old.

The home must include either:

  • A room mainly used for the care or therapy of the disabled person. This room must not be a bathroom, kitchen or toilet.

  • A second bathroom or kitchen to meet the needs of the disabled person.

  • A disabled person who uses a wheelchair indoors with enough floor space for this.

Your income is not taken into account for the discount. If you get Council Tax Benefit, this may be changed if you get the discount.


If you are not happy with the decision

If do not agree with the decision you should write to us telling why you think this is unfair. We will then let you know our decision within two months. If this does not happen or you are still unhappy, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal.