Foreign Diplomat Council Tax discount

Foreign diplomats may be eligible for Council Tax discount.

If you are a diplomat

To qualify:

  • you must not be a permanent resident in the United Kingdom (UK)
  • the property must be your main home in the UK*

* There is no exemption for second homes

Your property will be exempt even if you are living with someone else who is a British Citizen.


If you are a landlord

If you are sub-letting part of your home to a diplomat you can apply for a discount of 25 per cent.


Apply for a Council Tax discount

To apply use the Council Tax Discount Claim Form. You can also get this form from the Council Tax office.

We will contact the Foreign Office to check your or your tenant's diplomatic status.