Severe Mental Impairments Council Tax discount

If you live with someone with a Severe Mental Impairment you may be able to get a Council Tax discount. 

If everyone at the property has a Severe Mental Impairment it is exempt from Council Tax.

If you are a student living with only someone with a Severe Mental Impairment the property is exempt from Council Tax.


Apply for a Council Tax discount

You will need have a certificate from a doctor.

If you have moved Welwyn Hatfield and already have a certificate from another council send this to us at

Or, apply using the  Council Tax Discount for Severely Mentally Impaired People form. You can also get this form from the Council Tax office.