If a carer is living in your home you may be entitled to a discount.

If you have a carer who has left your home to care for another you may also be exempt on your former home.  You need to complete a Icon for pdf Council Tax Discount Claim Form which is also available from the Council Tax office.

If someone living in your home meets one of the following criteria the taxpayer may be entitled to a discount because carers are not always counted for Council Tax purposes:


Where the carer is an employee

The person who is providing the care or support must:

  • be providing care or support through a connection with the Crown, a charity, or a local authority

  • be employed for at least 24 hours a week

  • be paid no more than £44 per week

  • be resident where the care is given or in premises which have been provided for the better provision of care.


Where the carer is a friend or relative

The person who is providing the care or support must:

be providing care for a person, who is receiving one of the following state benefits

  • an attendance allowance

  • the highest or middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance

  • the daily living component of the personal independence payment (PIP)at the standard or enhanced rate ( PIP is  replacing disability living allowance)

  • the appropriately increased rate of disablement pension

  • an increase in a constant attendance allowance

be resident in the same home as the person to whom care is being provided

be providing care for at least 35 hours per week on average

must not be living with the person receiving care as husband and wife or caring for their own child who is under the age of 18.


Exemption for carers who leave home to provide care

If you have left your own home to provide care for someone else you may be entitled to exemption from Council Tax for your former home if the following conditions apply:

  • the property concerned must have been your main home and not be anyone else's main home;

  • you must be providing care or treatment for someone who needs it because of old age, physical or mental disability or, past or present: alcohol dependency, drug dependency or mental illness;

  • you must have moved home so that you can provide better care for the person you are caring for.

Your former home may still be exempt even if you have not moved into the home of the person for whom you are caring.

If you are caring for someone who's home is outside our area, we will probably have to agree with another local council that your main residence has now changed.

If you are a carer whose former home is outside Welwyn Hatfield you will need to contact the local council for the area in which it is located.