Foreign diplomat

Your property will be exempt even if you are jointly liable to pay Council Tax with someone else who is a British Citizen.

However, you must not be a permanent resident in the United Kingdom (UK) and the property concerned must be your main home in the UK. There is no exemption if the property is your second home in the UK.

If you are sub-letting part of your home to a diplomat they are not counted for Council Tax purposes. Therefore, you may be entitled to a discount of 25 per cent.

When we process your claim we will contact the Foreign Office to confirm your or your tenant's diplomatic status.

You need to complete an Icon for pdf Council Tax Discount Claim Form which is also available from the Council Tax office.