Persons who suffer from a severe mental impairment

If someone who lives with you suffers from a severe mental impairment the person who pays the Council Tax for your home may be entitled to a discount. Where anyone suffering from such impairment lives alone his or her home is exempt.

Also, if you are a student, who lives with an impaired person, or owns a property occupied only by an impaired person, the property is exempt.

Someone is considered to be suffering from a severe mental impairment if they are entitled to one of a number of specified state benefits, and they have a certificate from a doctor confirming their impairment.

These benefits are:

  • Incapacity Benefit (ICB) - This is short term ICB, long term ICB and long term ICB for widows and widowers

  • Employment Support Allowance - where it has replaced Incapacity Benefit (introduced 27th October 2008)

  • Attendance Allowance

  • Severe Disablement Allowance - may be included in Income Support

  • Disability Living Allowance Care Component at the middle or higher rate

  • The daily living component of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) at the standard or enhanced rate ( PIP is  replacing disability living allowance)

  • Disablement Pension with an increase for constant attendance.

  • Disability Working Allowance - only if entitlement based on prior receipt of Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance or where the customer received a disability premium with their Income Support because of incapacity for work. Now being replaced by Disabled Persons Tax Credit.

  • Unemployment Supplement.

  • Unemployment Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes.

  • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes - this is an allowance paid as an increase in the rate of benefit. Can be identified from award letters. For instance a war pension breakdown.

  • Income Support, which includes Disability Premium because of incapacity to work. This can be identified from award letters or the rate of benefit in an order book.

  • Retirement Pension where the person concerned would have qualified for one of the above except that they are over pensionable age.

  • Partners Job Seekers Allowance where the person concerned is the partner of someone who receives Income Based Job Seekers Allowance and this includes a disability or higher pensioner premium because:

1. they are on long term Incapacity Benefit or,

2. were either getting long term Incapacity Benefit before they reached pensionable age and are still alive or are entitled to Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance, but this is suspended as they are in hospital.

Someone moving into Welwyn Hatfield may already have a certificate from another council to prove that they suffer from a severe mental impairment. In these circumstances the person making a claim for exemption or a discount should send a photocopy of this certificate to us at .

You need to complete an Icon for pdf Council Tax Application for Discount Disregard for Severely Mentally Impaired People which is also available from the Council Tax office.