Discounts and exemptions for students

Discount for school leavers

Spouses or dependants of students from abroad

The former home of a full-time student

Discounts and exemptions for students

If your home is only occupied by students it is exempt and you do not have to pay Council Tax.

Your student exemption certificate will need to be submitted along with a disregard form. Please complete the relevant form to ensure that you do not pay Council Tax whilst studying.

Students attending the University of Hertfordshire in Hatfield should request their Council Tax exemption certificate via their Student record. When you log in it will show as an action under your course of study.

For Council Tax purposes, a student is someone who is:

  • Undertaking a university or college course where a person's periods of study, tuition or work experience together amount in each academic or calendar year to an average of at least 21 hours a week. This includes students who are undertaking full time courses whether by physically attending an educational establishment or by other means, such as correspondence or on-line, provided they meet the relevant qualifying requirements.

  • A person under the age of 20 years and studying for at least three months for a minimum of 12 hours per week for any qualification up to 'A' level, ONC or OND standard

  • A student nurse studying academic courses at university or college, or those who are on Project 2000 courses. Nurses are only counted as students for their first inclusion on the Nursing Register. Please complete a Icon for pdf Student Nurse Disregard Form

  • A student nurse on a particular day, if on that day they are undertaking a course  which would, if successfully completed, lead to a registration on any of parts 1 to 6, 8, 10 or 11 of the Register, maintained under section 10 of the Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979, as a first inclusion on that register. 

  • A Foreign Language Assistant registered with the Central Bureau for educational visits and exchanges.

  • A person who has their main residence in England and Wales who is undertaking a full time course with an educational establishment  situated in any Member State of the European Union.

Halls of residence

If you are a student living in a hall of residence you do not need to do anything yourself because the organisation - college, a university or a charitable institute running the residence will claim the exemption.

Living in private rented accommodation

If you are a full-time student who is not living in halls of residence, you will need to apply for a student exemption certificate in order to claim your Council Tax exemption. This certificate is available from the registration office of your prescribed educational establishment and will supply all the information we require to apply for your exemption.

Should you be living in a residence occupied solely by students, not all of whom have supplied us with their certificates, then we will continue to hold them liable for Council Tax until the certificates are supplied.


Discount for school leavers

School leavers are not counted for Council Tax purposes and therefore do not have to pay Council Tax.

You are considered to be a school leaver if you are under the age of 20 and have left school or college between 30 April and 1 November of the current year.

Please note that you will be treated as a school leaver for Council Tax purposes even if you do not enrol on a course.


Spouses or dependants of certain students

If you are the spouse or dependant of a student you may not be counted for council tax purposes.

Student means

  • those undertaking full time courses of education

  • those undertaking qualifying courses of education

  • foreign language assistants

  • student nurses

  • apprentices

  • youth training trainees

The spouse or dependant of the student must be a non British Citizen. The terms of their visa allowing them to live in this country must state that they are not entitled to work or have access to public funds (only one of these conditions need apply).

You can download a Icon for pdf Council Tax Discount Form and you will need to send it to us with a Certificate of Student Status for the student and a copy of the appropriate page of your passport.


The former home of a full-time student

If you are the owner of a property and you are also a student, the property may be exempt.

If you are a full-time student who has left a property you own in order to study, the property may be exempt if:

  • it was your main residence immediately before you became a full-time student.

  • you must have become a student within 6 weeks of leaving the property. 

  • no one has occupied it as his or her main home since you vacated it.

To apply please complete Icon for pdf Student Disregard Form , also confirm in writing that the above circumstances apply to you.

Your entitlement to exemption will stop when you complete your course even if you do not move back into your former home.