Environmental permits


We regulate certain types of factories and other businesses to reduce any pollution that they may cause and, in particular, to help improve air quality.

Businesses which operate these premises must have a permit. The Council decides whether or not to give a permit to an operator. The permit states the ways in which pollution is to be minimised.

In the law, the premises are known as 'installations'. Some are called 'Part B' and local authorities can only deal with air pollution from them. Additional sorts of pollution e.g. noise and vibration, waste, water pollution are controlled at 'Part A2' installations. 'Part A1' installations are usually larger or more complex industries and are regulated by the Environment Agency.