Food Businesses

If you run a food business you must tell us about any premises or a vehicle that you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. Food businesses include restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, market and other stalls, burger and ice cream vans. It is an offence not to be registered.

Register a food business

Setting up any new business can be an exciting but daunting prospect. To help set up a new food business, advice and guidance is available on the Food Standards Agency website.

Once you’re in a position to start your business you need to register with us. You need to be ready for your initial inspection once we receive your registration, so please don't register too early. You should register 28 days before you intend to trade.

Being ready for inspection should include completing any food hygiene training and having a documented food safety management system in place. There are two free documented food safety management systems you can access online, these are Safer Food Better Business or Hertfordshire Safe Food Pack. Both of these systems can help you comply with your legal requirements.

If you have any specific queries that you’d like to ask us before you register please do not hesitate to contact our team preferably by email. Food labelling and consumer sales advice should be sought from Hertfordshire Trading Standards.

General business advice and guidance for those working in Welwyn Hatfield can also be found at Welwyn Hatfield Business Matters and at Hertfordshire LEP Business support.

Registration is required if:

  • you are starting a new food business
  • the nature or address of the business has changed
  • there has been a change of ownership

Use the link below to register your business.

Register a food business

Some food businesses are exempt from registration, if you think you might be exempt contact us for advice.

See requirements for food businesses to find out more about your responsibilities.

Environmental Health

Address: Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council Offices
The Campus
Welwyn Garden City

Telephone: 01707 357 242