Parking exemptions and dispensations
A dispensation may be granted in exceptional circumstances to motorists needing to park a vehicle where there are parking restrictions such as single yellow lines.
They are generally only granted when the vehicle is an integral part of the works being carried out. They are rarely granted to private motor vehicles.
Please go to the bottom of the page for details of how to apply.
A - Automatic Dispensations
Certain vehicles enjoy an automatic dispensation, for example:
- Police, fire and ambulance vehicles whilst engaged on operational duties
- Certain vehicles being used in connection with postal services
- Vehicles being used for highway maintenance
- Vehicles being used in connection with waste collection, street cleansing or parking enforcement
- Vehicles where a valid blue badge is displayed in accordance with relevant Regulations
- Vehicles where loading/unloading is taking place in accordance with relevant Regulations
- Vehicles stopped solely for the purpose of picking up or setting down passengers in accordance with relevant Regulations
In the above situations there is no requirement for the motorist to obtain a dispensation from East Herts Council and no charge will apply.
B - Other Automatic Dispensations
- Vehicles being used for the installation or maintenance of services such as gas, water, electricity or telephones where this necessitates work on or immediately adjacent to the highway which in turn requires the presence of the vehicle at or near the location of the works. (This does not, as a rule, include works carried out within domestic or business premises)
In the above situation there is no requirement for the motorist to obtain a dispensation from East Herts Council and no charge will apply.
C - Other Dispensations
A dispensation may be granted for other purposes and in such cases the Council must be satisfied that it is necessary for the vehicle to be parked in contravention in order for works to be carried out and that there is not a reasonable alternative available to the motorist.
For example, a dispensation will generally be granted for:
- Glazing works
- Scaffolding works
- Building maintenance
A charge will be made to cover the cost of issuing and enforcing this dispensation.
D - Discretionary Dispensations
A dispensation may be granted at the Council's discretion for a number of other purposes. Once again, the Council must be satisfied that it is necessary for the vehicle to be parked in contravention and that there is not a reasonable alternative available to the motorist.
Examples of when a discretionary dispensation may be granted are:
- Funerals (for the hearse and cortege vehicles only)
- Weddings (for the bridal vehicle only).
E - Skips
A dispensation is not required for a skip. If the skip is placed on the highway then a licence must be obtained from Hertfordshire County Council and a charge will apply.
Dispensations that fall into Category C above will be subject to a charge to cover the Council's administration costs. The current charge is £25 for a maximum of 3 vehicles.
A dispensation will last for no longer than seven consecutive days and will be granted for no more than three vehicles at a single location. Requests for more vehicles or for a longer dispensation will be considered on their merits and a further charge will be made.
On most occasions the need for a dispensation can be anticipated and the Council requires a minimum of 2 working days' notice for a dispensation to be granted. The Council will always try to accommodate requests where this notice has not been given; however it reserves the right to decline the dispensation on this basis or to implement the dispensation no earlier than 2 working days after receipt of the request.
A dispensation does not grant the holder the right to park in contravention of all restrictions. For example, a dispensation will not be granted for parking in a loading ban area or on bus stops, taxi ranks or blue badge bays. Permission to park on double yellow lines will only be given in exceptional circumstances.
Where time-limited permitted parking bays exist nearby, the motorist will generally be expected to use these and if a longer time than permitted is required the same charge will apply.
If, in the opinion of an officer of the Council or a Civil Parking Enforcement Officer a vehicle which a dispensation has been issued is parked in contravention and that vehicle is not being used as an integral part of the works in progress, a Penalty Charge Notice may be issued.
Applying for a Dispensation
If you wish to discuss your requirements in advance, or to apply for a dispensation, contact East Herts Council on 01279 502039
Please ensure you have your vehicle details (including registration number), precise location and means of payment to hand.