Local Plan Main Modifications Consultation
Local Plan Main Modifications Consultation 4 January to 15 February 2023
Following the Local Plan Examination hearing sessions held between 2017 and 2021, the Inspector stated that consultation on the Main Modifications could proceed.
The proposed Main Modifications ensure that the policies set out in the Local Plan and examined by the Inspector are sound.
A schedule of Main Modifications to the plan has been prepared by Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council.
We consulted on these Main Modifications and several supporting documents:
- EX295 - Schedule of Main Modifications
- EX296 - Main Modifications Policies Maps
- EX294 - Local Plan Housing Note
- EX297 - Sustainability Appraisal
- EX298 - Habitats Regulations Assessment
What the consultation covers
The Inspector will need to know whether the Council has met the legal requirements for the preparation of the Plan and whether it meets the "tests of soundness" which are set out in the National Planning Policy Framework.
The tests of soundness are:
- Positively prepared – is the Plan based on a strategy that meets the objectively assessed development and infrastructure requirements?
- Justified – is the Plan the most appropriate strategy, when considered against reasonable alternatives, based on proportionate evidence?
- Effective – is the Plan deliverable over its period and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic priorities? and
- Consistent with national policy – does the Plan enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in the framework?
Consultation comments could only be made in the context of these issues as this is what the Inspector will consider in preparing their report.
Now that the consultation has closed:
- All responses have now been sent to the Inspector for his consideration.
- The Inspector will consider whether the proposed Main Modifications and any further amendments are necessary.
- The Inspector will write a report concluding whether the Draft Local Plan has met the legal requirements and “tests of soundness”.
Based on the Inspector’s findings, the Council will then make a decision on whether to adopt the Draft Local Plan.