Council housing allocations policy

What type of tenancy will I be offered?

There are several different types of tenancy.

Secure Tenancies

This is a permanent tenancy of a Council property. If you are a secure tenant we cannot evict you without a court order, and possession can only be granted on certain grounds. There are other rights associated with a secure tenancy including the Right to Buy and the Right to Mutually Exchange.

Assured Tenancies

Registered Providers grant assured tenancies. They are similar to secure tenancies given by the Council. If you are nominated to a Registered Provider property and have an assured tenancy your landlord cannot evict you without a court order, although the grounds for possession may be slightly different than for a Council tenant. Assured tenants can mutually exchange (with Council tenants as well as Registered Provider tenants) and may be able to buy their home under the Right to Acquire scheme.

Non-Secure Tenancies

Non-secure tenancies are temporary tenancies. We offer them to people to whom we have an interim (temporary) or full duty under the homeless provisions of the Housing Act 1996 (part 7). If you are a non-secure tenant you do have certain rights but not have the full rights of a secure or assured tenant. For example, there is no Right to Buy and no right to mutually exchange.

Sole and Joint Tenancies

We offer sole tenancies to single applicants. We would normally offer a joint tenancy to co-habiting couples and other people living together (or wanting to live together) as a couple, unless immigration control applies. Sole and joint tenancies may be secure, non-secure or assured.

Registered Provider

A starter tenancy is an assured shorthold tenancy issued by a housing association. A starter tenancy normally lasts for one year and, provided no legal action has been taken due to a breach of tenancy conditions, the tenancy becomes assured at the end of the trial period.

Fixed Term Tenancy (Sometimes called Flexible)

This is an assured tenancy of a Registered Provider which is granted for a fixed period, for example 5 years.  At the end of this period a review will take place of your circumstances to determine whether you will be offered another fixed term tenancy in this property.

Flexible Tenancy

Tenants (except those in sheltered housing) who signed up between April 2013 and November 2023 were granted 5 year fixed-term flexible tenancies.

Following a consultation, we have ended the use of these fixed-term flexible tenancies.

When the fixed-term flexible tenancies end (after five years) they will automatically roll on to a secure tenancy. Tenants who transfer to a new WHBC tenancy will be given a secure tenancy for their new home.