Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places
The Council is carrying out a review of polling districts and polling places in the borough.
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council is undertaking a review of all polling districts and polling places in accordance with the Representation of the People Act 1983 and the Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013. It is proposed that there should be changes to Hollybush and Peartree wards. The other wards will remain unaltered which meet the current legislative criteria.
The purpose of the review is to:
- seek to ensure that all electors should continue to have such reasonable facilities for voting as are practicable in the circumstances
- seek to ensure that so far as it is reasonable and practicable, the polling places designated are accessible to all electors, including those who are disabled
- provide additional polling stations were applicable given the increase in electorate in certain areas, and make it more practical and reasonable for electors to vote.
When designating a polling place, consideration must be given to the accessibility needs of disabled persons.
The (Acting) Returning Officer welcomes comments on the proposals and representations from key stakeholders, interested groups and organisations or individuals on the appropriateness of the polling places and any other comments on the scheme in general. See proposals and maps listed:
- Brookmans Park and Little Heath Ward
- Haldens Ward
- Handside Ward
- Hatfield Central Ward
- Hatfield East Ward
- Hatfield South West Ward
- Hatfield Villages Ward
- Hollybush Ward - propose to change the polling districts.
- Howlands Ward
- Northaw and Cuffley Ward
- Panshanger Ward
- Peartree Ward - propose to add an additional polling district BBC and amend the existing polling districts. Propose to change polling station Peartree Primary School to WGC & Hatfield Sea Cadets, 64-68 Bridge Road East.
- Sherrards Ward
- Welham Green and Hatfield South Ward
- Welwyn East Ward
- Welwyn West Ward
Copies of the above proposals can also be inspected in reception at Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, The Campus, Welwyn Garden City AL8 6AE during office hours.
Comments and representations should be submitted to the Electoral Services Manager at Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, The Campus, Welwyn Garden City AL8 6AE or emailed to email@example.com by 29 November 2023.
All submissions will be available for inspection from 29 November 2023 on this web page, or by appointment at Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, The Campus, Welwyn Garden City AL8 6AE. You can make an appointment by contacting the Electoral Services team by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 01707 357300.
The Chief Executive/(Acting) Returning Officer will publicise the outcome on 17 January 2024. The final decision of the review will be made at the meeting of full Council held on 5 February 2024.