Voter Authority Certificate
Voter Authority Certificate - Voter ID
The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections. This new requirement will apply for the first time in England at the local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023.
Which forms of ID can I use to vote?
You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. You can use any of the following:
• A passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
• A driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state
• A biometric immigration document
• An identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
• Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
• A Blue Badge
• A national identity card issued by an EEA state
• An Older Person’s Bus Pass
• A Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
• An Oyster 60+ Card
• A Freedom Pass
• A Scottish National Entitlement Card issued in Scotland
• A 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
• A Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
• A Senior SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
• A Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
• A War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
• A 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
• A Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
• An Electoral Identity Card issued in Northern Ireland
• A Voter Authority Certificate or a temporary Voter Authority Certificate
If your photographic identification document has expired, it will still be accepted as long as the photograph is still a good likeness of you.
If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You can apply for this at voter-authority-certificate.service.gov.uk.
If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request a paper application form, contact the Electoral Services team by email: email@example.com or by telephone on 01707 357300.
If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to electoralcommission.org.uk/voterID, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280