Voter Authority Certificate (voter ID)

The UK Government introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections. This new requirement applied for the first time in England at the local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023.

Vast majority of voters took photo ID to vote at Welwyn Hatfield polling stations

Data released today by Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council shows the number of people who brought ID to the polling station for local elections on 4 May 2023.

The data shows that 99.9% of electors who came to vote in Welwyn Hatfield polling stations brought photo ID that met newly introduced voter ID requirements. 

Collated figures across the area show 22,447 electors voted at our 57 polling stations on 4 May.

At the end of polling day, 30 electors who tried to vote in a polling station were not given a ballot paper because they did not meet the new voter ID requirements – 0.1%.

The figures also show while 104 electors were initially turned away, 74 returned with acceptable ID and were able to vote. This means 71.2% of those initially turned away returned and were issued with a ballot paper.

Forms of ID you can use to vote

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable.

You can use any of the following:

•    a passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
•    a driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state
•    a biometric immigration document
•    an identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
•    Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
•    a Blue Badge
•    a national identity card issued by an EEA state
•    an Older Person’s Bus Pass
•    a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
•    an Oyster 60+ Card
•    a Freedom Pass
•    a Scottish National Entitlement Card issued in Scotland
•    a 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
•    a Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
•    a Senior SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
•    a Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
•    a War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
•    a 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
•    a Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
•    an Electoral Identity Card issued in Northern Ireland
•    a Voter Authority Certificate or a temporary Voter Authority Certificate (see below)

If your photographic identification document has expired, it will still be accepted as long as the photograph is still a good likeness of you.

Apply for voter ID if you do not have one

If you do not already have an accepted form of photo ID from the list above, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate.

Apply for a voter authority certificate

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request a paper application form, contact the Electoral Services team at or call 01707 357300.

If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280