Additional Benefits Information

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you get Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction but still cannot pay your accommodation costs, you may be able to get help through our Discretionary Housing Payment scheme.

Who can apply

You must be in receipt of some Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction and not able to cover your accommodation costs to apply.

It must be for an exceptional circumstance. Examples might be that a Rent Officer has restricted your rent but you have a particular reason for renting that specific property, or your rent is more than the Local Housing Allowance Rate.

It cannot be used to help with:

  • service charges not covered by the benefit scheme,such as heating, lighting, hot water, and other fuel costs or water rates, sewerage or other environmental costs.
  • a reduction in other social security benefits as a result of sanctions applied by the Benefits Agency (for example a reduction in your Income Support)

How much you can get

The amount awarded is at our discretion. We consider each case on its own merits. We will look at the other options available to you before deciding.

You will not receive more than the shortfall in your weekly eligible rent or weekly Council Tax liability.

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

Use the link below to complete the application and send it back the Benefits Team.

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are unable to access the form contact us at

Council Tax Support Hardship Relief

If you get Council Tax Support but still have difficulty paying your Council Tax you may be able to get extra help.
We have a limited fund to help people with their Council Tax charge if they are suffering exceptional hardship.

Use the link below to complete the application and send it back the Benefits Team.

 Apply for Council Tax Hardship Relief Fund

Benefits Services

Address: Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council Offices
Campus East
The Campus
Welwyn Garden City

Telephone: 01707 357 000