Help with money and debt

Some residents are being contacted by commercial debt and money management companies. Please be aware that they charge a fee.

There are charities and other organisations who can help you to manage your money and debt for free and some of these are listed on this page.

Help for households has information about income and childcare help you may be eligible for.

Citizens Advice

Welwyn Hatfield Citizens Advice can offer advice about money and debt.

You can contact them by email, webchat or join a virtual drop-in.

You can also call 01707 954 123 and leave your contact details and a brief description of your problem and an adviser will call you back.

Money and benefits advice

There are free guides on debt and benefits, disability, bereveavement, housing, reitrement and career support.

Money and Pensions Service (MaPS)

The MaPS MoneyHelper can help if you are:

Credit Unions

Local Credit Unions are not-for-profit savings and loans schemes. They can help individuals, families, and communities.

There are 6 Credit Unions in Hertfordshire:


StepChange is a charity that helps thousands of people overcome debt every week.

Examples of how they can help:

  • Take the 60-second debt test to find out if you need debt advice, and what your next steps could be
  • Use the Debt Remedy tool to understand how to start to take control of your money
  • Find out about Breathing Space a government scheme which could help relieve some of the pressure and stress caused by being in debt