Help with money and debt
Some residents are being contacted by commercial debt and money management companies. Please be aware that they charge a fee.
There are charities and other organisations who can help you to manage your money and debt for free and some of these are listed on this page.
Help for households has information about income and childcare help you may be eligible for.
Welwyn Hatfield Citizens Advice can offer advice about money and debt.
You can contact them by email, webchat or join a virtual drop-in.
You can also call 01707 280 417 and leave your contact details and a brief description of your problem and an adviser will call you back.
Money and Pensions Service (MaPS)
The MaPS MoneyHelper can help if you are:
- struggling to keep on top of bills and payments
- living on a squeezed income
- worried about losing your job
Local Credit Unions are not-for-profit savings and loans schemes.They can help individuals, families, and communities.
There are 6 Credit Unions in Hertfordshire:
- HertSavers Credit Union
- Dacorum First Credit Union
- Black Squirrel Credit Union
- Stevenage Credit Union
- Watford Credit Union
- St Albans Community Bank
StepChange is a charity that helps thousands of people overcome debt every week.
Examples of how they can help:
- Take the 60-second debt test to find out if you need debt advice, and what your next steps could be
- Use the Debt Remedy tool to understand how to start to take control of your money
- Find out about Breathing Space a government scheme which could help relieve some of the pressure and stress caused by being in debt