Home contents insurance for council tenants

Home Contents Insurance for council tenants

We run a home contents scheme in partnership with Thistle Tenant Risks which is open to all our tenants, except those who have rent arrears.

Why you need Home Contents Insurance

We do not cover your home contents as part of the tenancy agreement.

It's a good idea to know what the insurance would cover so you can make an informed decision about whether you need one.

Contents insurance protects your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there's always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen.

The Pay As You Go Home Contents Insurance Scheme

We offer a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks. All tenants living in social and affordable housing can apply for it.

It insures the contents of your home including furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Reasons to choose Pay As You Go Home Contents Insurance

  • No excess (you don't pay the first part of the claim) 
  • Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
  • Covers tenants improvements (up to £2000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is more)
  • Covers theft or attempted theft of contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3,000)
  • Covers damage to external glazing which you are responsible for
  • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen (up to £500)
  • You don't need to have special door or window locks (just a lockable front door)

Who the policy is for

The insurance is designed for social housing residents .

The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions, Read the Policy Wording carefully before you decide if it is right for you.

If you are unsure whether the policy is right for you contact us on 01707 357 000.

Apply for the Pay As You Go Home Contents Insurance Scheme

To apply fill out an Home Contents Insurance Application Pack and return it to us at our office.

Make sure you read the Tenant Risks Customer Information Document and Insurance Product Information Document. These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance. They also give key information about the insurance cover.

The insurance policy is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is right for you.

Making a complaint about the Pay As You Go Home Contents Insurance Scheme

If you have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim follow the Thistle Complaints Policy.

Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Firm Referenece Number 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington's Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Read Thistle's Data Protection Privacy Policy

Pay as you go Home Contents Insurance Scheme documents