Moving home (council housing)

Moving in

What happens before you can move in to your new home:

  1. The Housing Officer for the area will contact you to arrange for you to view the property.
  2. During your viewing the Housing Officer will answer any questions you may have about the property and the local area.
  3. You will be told about any work which will be done to property before you move in or just after.
  4. If you are moving into supported accommodation, the Scheme Manager will also be there and complete a Needs Assessment with you.


Accepting the property

If you accept the property:

  • if you are already a tenant, we will inspect your current home to make sure it is in good condition
  • we will give you a list of anything you need to do before you move out
  • we will not allow you to move unless your home is in a good condition.
  • if your home is not in good condition we will discuss any repairs you need to pay for

Check your tenancy agreement for the condition we expect the property to be left in when you move out.


Appointment to sign your Tenancy Agreement

  1. Your Housing Officer will make an appointment for you sign your new tenancy (usually at your local Housing Office).
  2. If there are special circumstances and you are unable to come to the office to sign for the tenancy, an appointment can be made for us visit you to sign.
  3. At the appointment we will explain your rights and responsibilities to us and our responsibilities to you.
  4. We also explain rent and charges that you will have to pay and advise you on the different ways to pay.
  5. We will help you to fill out any direct debit, standing order or Housing Benefit claim forms needed.
  6. If you are moving into a Supported Housing Scheme we will fill out a Welfare Services Customer Details form. This will give your Scheme Manager important information in case of an emergency


Agreeing that you accept the condition of the property

When you sign your tenancy you will agree a list of any works or non-urgent repairs to be carried out whilst you live in the property. We will give you the contact details to arrange a time for the repairs to be carried out.

You will also be given advice on what to do if there is a pre-paid gas/electric meter.

You will be given:

  • Gas Safety Certificate
  • Energy Performance Certificate

If the property has solar panels you will be asked to sign a Solar PV Agreement.


The condition of your new home

Before we let a property to you it must meet our standard. We will carry out work and checks before you move in so that the property is clean, safe and fit to live in.

These standards are:

  1. all gas installations will be checked and a Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate issued
  2. a full asbestos check will be carried out
  3. all electrics will be checked and will be working safely
  4. new locks will be fitted to your front and back doors (we will give you two sets of keys and where there is a secure communal area, two entry fobs)
  5. there will be a working heating system
  6. you will have hot water from either the heating system or an immersion heater
  7. all external doors and windows will be secure, weather-tight and will open and close easily
  8. all plumbing will be watertight
  9. the property and garden will be clear of rubbish
  10. all rooms will have internal doors
  11. all garages and sheds will have secure and working doors.