Code of Conduct for Residents Panel Members
This Code of Conduct has been drawn up and approved by the Residents Panel as a guide to how we expect everyone to act and behave at all times when involved in activities in conjunction with Welwyn Hatfield Council, their staff and other members of the Panel.
Everyone involved is expected to:
- Adhere to the values and principles of the Code of Conduct.
- Work in partnership to achieve the best possible results.
- Do all we can to ensure that people who are involved reflect the people living in our communities.
- Ensure that everything we do positively promotes involvement and does not bring any group or the Council into disrepute.
Meetings and Events
- Treat others with respect, courtesy, sensitivity and protect individual confidentiality.
- Contribute positively and constructively to discussions and decisions and provide feedback when asked to do so.
- Treat all confidential information as such and do not share outside the meeting unless authorised to do so.
- Attend regularly, on time and give apologies in advance if necessary.
- Be friendly and welcoming to others.
- Consider the needs and views of all residents and local communities.
- Refrain from using offensive or abusive language or behaviour.
- Resident Panel members should not accept gifts, favours or hospitality. Members should seek the advice of the Chair or Community Engagement Officer if required.
- Abide by group decisions.
Breaches of the Code
- If a member fails to abide by the Code the Chair may ask them to leave the meeting.
- If a member continues to breach this Code, or in more serious breaches, a member can be suspended from meetings or expelled by the Chair.
- In the case of gross misconduct, as defined by the Chair, Vice-Chair and Community Engagement Officer, a member will be automatically expelled from the Panel.
Attendance at Resident Panel meetings automatically assumes acceptance of the Terms of Reference and Code of Conduct by individuals.
Updated July 2021