Support services for older and vulnerable tenants or residents

Tenancy support

We can provide housing support to new tenants for up to two years. We help identify and work through problems and help you settle into a new tenancy or keep a current tenancy.

Apply for tenancy support

If you need support to manage your tenancy, contact your Housing Officer who will assess to your needs and, if necessary, refer you for tenancy support.

What support is available

Our goal is to help you achieve independence and to prevent homelessness.

Examples of this support include:

  • setting up your home
  • keep a tenancy or licence if you're at risk of losing it
  • help to manage money and benefit claims
  • advice on jobs and training
  • accessing local community and support organisations to develop a social life
  • advice on debts and payment of utility bills
  • emotional support and advice
  • help to manage personal safety and security, including behaviour management
  • supervision and monitoring of health and well being, including developing domestic skills

This support is voluntary and you are expected to follow an agreed action plan.

How tenancy support works

We will work with you to agree an action plan, set out what support you need and how it will be provided. We will review your progress with you and agree what happens and when the support service is coming to an end.

Stage 1 An Initial Assessment is carried out in your home or in one of our offices.
Stage 2 We will discuss what support you need and what we can do for you.
Stage 3 We will produce a support plan with aims and objectives for you to achieve during your support period.
Stage 4 After three months (approximately) we will carry out a review with you to check how you are progressing through your plan. You can also ask for a review at any time.
Stage 5 When you and the team are confident that you can manage your tenancy independently, we will agree to remove this support.



Contact your Housing or Neighbourhood Officer

Address: Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council
Council Offices
Campus East
The Campus
Welwyn Garden City

Telephone: 01707 357 000