Supported and sheltered housing

Apply for sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is:

  • self-contained accommodation with access to a range of support services
  • living independently but with access to a Scheme Coordinator, a Mobile Warden
  • usually reserved for people over 60 or those with other support needs such as a disability.

The Scheme Coordinator's role:

  • to enable residents to live independently and help them access any extra support they need
  • they have close contacts with health and support organisations to arrange help for residents
  • they act as a vital link between residents and their Neighbourhood Housing Officer (based at our council offices in Welwyn Garden City)
  • they do not provide care or help with 'day to day' activities like shopping or housework.

The Mobile Wardens role

A team of Mobile Wardens provide cover for all supported homes when the Scheme Coordinators are off duty.

They are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year through the emergency alarm system.


Apply for sheltered housing

You can apply by joining the Housing Needs Register (waiting list). Once you have registered for housing you will be able to view and bid for properties in our sheltered housing schemes.

Apply for sheltered housing


Extra Charges for sheltered housing

Sheltered housing includes access to a Scheme Coordinator, 24 hour emergency response by a Mobile Warden and, where available, communal facilities.

We pay for these services with a contribution from people living in our sheltered housing schemes. This contribution is called a Communal Facilities Charge.

All new residents (including council tenants who move from general needs to supported housing) pay this charge. You still pay this charge even if you do not accept the support from the Scheme Coordinator or Independent Living Services team.

If you get any housing benefit or have a limited income, you may be able to get a discount. The Housing Benefit team will decide this.