Speaking at a council meeting
Many council and committee meetings are open to the public.
Open door to democracy
We have an open door policy for local residents to ask pre-registered questions and present petitions. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to participate in decision making.
There is time at the beginning of meetings (except quasi-judicial meetings and the Standards Committee) for members of the public to ask pre-registered question of the Full Council, Cabinet, Executive Members or a committee.
How to ask a question
You must send us your questions in writing by 12 noon five working days before the meeting.
- questions must be relevant to the work of the meeting
- only one question per person
Post or email your questions to:
Governance Services Manager
Welwyn Garden City
What happens when you ask a question
If you are able to go to the meeting:
- you will ask your question at the beginning of the meeting
- the chairman will provide a response.
- follow up questions will not be allowed
- no debate will be permitted on any question or response.
If you are not able to go to the meeting:
- your question will be read out at the meeting
- a written response will be sent to you.
Your question will be shared with all members of the committee and will be available to the public.
For more information or advice on asking a question at a meeting contact the Governance Services Team.