Local Code of Governance
What do we mean by Governance?
1. Governance is about how the Council ensures that it is doing the right things, in the right way, for the right people, in a timely, inclusive, open, honest and accountable manner.
2. Governance comprises the systems and processes, and cultures and values, by which the Council is directed and controlled and through which it accounts to, engages with and, where appropriate, leads its communities.
3. Good governance leads to:-
(a) Good management,
(b) Good performance,
(c) Good stewardship of public money,
(d) Good public engagement,
(e) Good outcomes for citizens and service users.
4. Good governance enables the Council to pursue its vision effectively as well as underpinning that vision with mechanisms for control and management of risk.
5. The Council, along with each and every other local authority, aims to meet the standards of the best and its governance arrangements should not only be sound but also be seen to be sound.