Older persons housing strategy
The countywide context
Welwyn Hatfield is one of the 10 districts and boroughs that make up the County of Hertfordshire.
Hatfield is one of the 10 districts and boroughs that make up the County of Hertfordshire. Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) has the statutory responsibility for meeting the care and support needs of vulnerable groups in the region including older people.
To address that responsibility, HCC has a number of priorities at a regional level that impact on how the borough addresses the housing needs of older residents in the future. These include:
- Ageing Well in Hertfordshire Strategy 2015-2019
- Herts County Council's Market Position Statement for Older People (2015)
- Hertfordshire's Health and Wellbeing Strategy 2016-2020
- Disabled Facilities Grants
Key Challenges identified from the National & Countywide Context
- Strategy and policy at a local level need to reflect the wider context of priorities at a national and regional level for older peoples housing.
- Ensuring the quantity and quality of housing for older people in Welwyn Hatfield supports the regional strategies on ageing well and health and wellbeing, and works to reduce identified health inequalities in the borough