Making our community a safe place to live, work or study.
The CSP is a statutory body under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998. We work with the Police and Crime Commissioner for Hertfordshire, and the local Criminal Justice Board and is made up of representatives from around the Welwyn Hatfield borough as well as county wide organisations. These include:
- Hertfordshire Constabulary
- Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council
- Hertfordshire County Council
- East and North Hertfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group
- National Probation Service
- BENCH Community Rehabilitation Company
- University of Hertfordshire
Additionally, many local community and voluntary groups participate. To find out more download the Community Safety Partnership Infographic or view examples of the Community Safety Partnership projects.
What does the Community Safety Partnership do?
Our five key priorities that the partnership focuses on to help make the borough a safer place are:
- Keep Down Crime especially burglary at homes
- Prevent Antisocial Behaviour
- Reduce the damage caused to neighbourhoods by drugs and alcohol misuse
- Protect Vulnerable People
- Support people enduring or escaping domestic abuse, intimidation and harassment
Here are some examples of projects that the Community Safety Partnership has been involved in.
- Public prevention exhibitions and Community Information Days (CIDs) on the subjects of home safety, fire safety, personal safety.
- CCTV funded and introduced in various locations around the borough, including Welwyn Garden City centre, King George's Fields (WGC), Hatfield town centre, Hilltop, Welham Green and Woodhall.
- Working with known offenders to minimise their impact in the community.
- Increased support and expansion of Watch schemes which include Neighbourhood Watch, Business Watch and Senior Watch.
- OffWatch launched to encourage joint working among off licences to share good practice.
- The introduction of a 'Sanctuary' scheme for people in fear of domestic violence.
- Offer life skills and advise on personal safety to over 1000 young people each year since 2008 through Crucial Crew events.
- An effective anti-social behaviour forum, and a group dealing with vulnerable under -18s, MAGPYE (Multi Agency Group for Prevention of Youth Exclusion).
- Introduction of an Hatfield Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) in Central Hatfield town centre.
- Street Wardens patrolling key areas and safely collecting drugs-related waste.
- Patrols by Street Wardens, Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) and officers from the special constabulary in identified areas.
- Use of community payback to benefit local people and to demonstrate justice done.
- Sunflower drop-in for those wanting advice, information and support for anyone affected by domestic violence in Welwyn Hatfield.
- Positive Pathways project engaging young people who are at risk of, or are already, committing anti-social behaviour.