Apply for Housing Benefit

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

You must use this service to apply for housing benefit and council tax support, unless you are claiming Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance.

We will usually pay benefit from the Monday after we receive your claim form.

It is important that you make your claim as soon as you can, even if you do not have all the information we may ask for.

Information we need

You will need to supply proof of:

  • identity
  • capital, savings and investments
  • benefits, allowances or pensions  
  • earned income and any unearned income
  • rent
  • dependants 
  • student status and student income

Check the full list of documents that we will accept.

You can submit supporting proofs for your claim by email to Screenshots taken from a mobile device will be accepted and will speed up the processing of your claim.

If you are a couple, you and your partner have to make a joint claim. You need to complete all of the sections that apply to you and your partner and other members of your household, otherwise we will have to return the form for completion which will delay your claim.

In exceptional circumstances you can claim from an earlier date.

Start Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Application

The quicker you can supply all the documents, the quicker your claim will be paid.

You can also contact us at if you need the application in an alternative format.

If you are housebound and need help to fill in a claim form you should contact us to arrange a home visit. 

More information about Council Tax Support

Self Service

Manage your account and benefit claim online using our self-service facility. You can access a range of services including viewing your bill, applying for discounts, making payment arrangements, setting up Direct Debits and telling us if you have moved or had a change in your income or circumstances.