Additional Benefits Information

Paying back overpayments

If you have been overpaid Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, for example because you have started work, we will notify you by letter and send you an invoice for the Housing Benefit element of your overpayment.

The Council Tax element of your overpayment will usually be added to your Council Tax bill.

If you still have a benefit entitlement we will recover the overpayment from you by reducing the amount of benefit you receive.

If you are no longer entitled to benefit, you must pay the invoice. You can do this in a variety of ways:

  • online through our payment portal using the 'Benefit overpayments' option
  • at the bank or post office
  • by credit/debit card.
  • by cash
  • cheque (made payable to Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, quoting your housing benefit overpayment invoice number on the back)

The Council's bank details are:

HSBC Welwyn Garden City
Sort code: 40-46-08
Account number: 41020900.

Quote the invoice number as your reference number.

If you are a private tenant and we have paid your benefit directly to your Landlord, we may attempt to recover it from them. Usually we will attempt to recover it from you, and you should make arrangements with your landlord to adjust your account.


Help with paying back your overpayment

If you cannot afford to pay the invoice in one go, contact us at and we may make an arrangement for you to pay by instalments.

If you do not keep up with payments this option will be withdrawn.