Council housing maintenance

Installing aids and adaptations (including ramps)

Types of aids and adaptations we can install:

  • level entry showers
  • ramping
  • lever taps
  • conversions or extensions.

How to request aids and adaptations

We can install aids or adaptations to your property if we have a referral from an Occupational Therapist.

If you feel that there is an aid or adaptation that would make life in your home more comfortable, you can arrange for an Occupational Therapist to visit you at your home to assess your needs.

The Occupational Therapists are part of the Health and Community Services team at Hertfordshire County Council and they can be contacted on 0300 123 4042.

If the Occupational Therapist makes a referral to us for an aid or adaptation to be installed within your home, we will write to tell you.  We will tell you what work is to be done and approximately when we will be able to carry out the work.

Before any work can be carried out, one of our Maintenance Surveyors will need to visit your home to check if the suggested work is possible. 

Grab rails and banister rails

We can also provide grab rails and extra banister rails free of charge if you need them. Contact the Housing Repiars and Maintenance Team to request them.

Contact the Housing Repairs and Maintenance Team

Address: Council Offices
The Campus
Welwyn Garden City

Telephone: 01707 357 000